header/footer question

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Re: header/footer question

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Mike,

I have done a lot of reading in the help section today and the forums. Also quite a bit of testing on a form letter I created. I have been working in A-1. after several attempts with different codes using an A-1 document, I have been unable to get a header that I want to appear on all pages after page 1. I would like to have page two to the last page of the letter state the name of the addressee, below that, the name of the case "so and so vs. so and so" , below that, the date of the letter and below that the page number of the letter. After putting in many of the suggestions in the help section and on this forum, I am getting nothing close to what I need. The closest that I have gotten is where my letterhead appears on every page.
Please point me in the right direction? Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area of the help section and this forum?

I have been putting the codes for this on the last page of my letter in edit mode just below the cc code.

I would appreciate all your help.

Thank you

Alexander Cozzaglio

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

To start - please advise as to what word processor you are using (Word, Word Perfect or A1-Law's word processor). Feel free to Email me a copy of the letter you are trying to get to work.

Thanks,
Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Mike,

I have Word and I thank you for your help yesterday.

Now, I have been trying to get some prompts going on my letters. I took one letter that I created after we talked and tried to put in a prompt for a date in the past to come into the letter. Here is what I did. I looked at another word letter created for me by Susan that did have a prompt for you to put in a date that you want. I saw that the code in that letter said >>, so I plugged that into my letter in word. I did nothing with the A-1 letter for the same number. So then I tried to see if the magic worked by pulling up that letter under “print”. It never prompted me to put in the date and I took that as a bad sign. When the letter popped up in word, that little portion that I added to get the prompt said “Empty Field”. I was gonged! I’m afraid that my effort was woefully inadequate.

Now, If you could tell me where to go to get the right knowledge to be able to get these prompts going I would be eternally grateful. That, of course, is not to say that I am not already eternally grateful because I love A-1!

Should I be looking at Word help? I thought maybe getting prompts in A-1 help might not be the answer because this is word. I did look at them and they seemed extremely complicated. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Alex Cozzaglio

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Take a look at the INPUT4 command and use that in the A1Law letter then merge the answers into Word. Here's a example (where answer1 goes in memory cell 41, answer 2 goes in cell 42, etc):

This goes in the A1-Law letter (note that you can double click the date questions for a calendar icon)

>

{FieldName = MyAnswer1
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer2
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer3
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer4
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer5
>}

Then in your Microsoft Word letter you can enter something like:

>>

anywhere you want it to fill in answer 1, etc.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks Mike,

Does it matter that I just need a date of a past appointment to put in? For example, this is an SOL letter for a client who's case I did not take. I just want to say"thank you for your visit to my office on (blank date) for your free consultation regarding....." I just wonder if all of the commands that you indicated above need to be put into A-1 as you indicated even for that one prompt. For example "date of depo" would seem inconsistent with my letter because, I want to put in a date of past appointment. But maybe this system is designed to recognize date of depo as any past date?

In your example above you said "then in your microsoft word letter you can enter something like: >>" Am I right to think that this would place the fee amount in that part of the letter? and >> would place the date of the depo in that part of the letter? and so on? So the whole code as you instructed above gets entered in A-1 and on Word I pick and chose which questions I want asked of me? In other words, The entire code you entered above goes into my A-1 regardless of what questions I want? In reference to what I read in A-1 help, does the whole entry go at the top of the letter or just this:
<<command = input4
Caption Fill In Questions
Memory 41
NoShow

or something different?

Quote of the day," Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while" I know it's somewhere around here and I'm a'gonna find it!

Your help is always appreciated,
Thanks,

Alexander Cozzaglio

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Right - if you just need ONLY ONE input then you do not need the INPUT4 command. You can do it like this:

{FieldName = SOL_DATE
>}

Then in Word:

Your statute date of >> ....etc.etc.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:36 am

oh wow, hey Mike, you'll never guess what happened. It worked! Thank you!

Follow up question. Now let's say, It's not an SOL date that I need. Rather, it is the date that the proposed client came in to see me (maybe "Free Consult Date"). An answer to this question, I believe, will help me tremendously. I know that I will need prompts to say different things. I may need to be prompted to put in, for example, in a petition, "date of wrongful act", in a 132a petition or in an S&W petition. Is there a list of codes to put in A-1 to prompt you for specific questions, in addition to the depo appointment questions?. maybe a list of questions with correlating codes that will prompt each question. I never would have guessed that the SOL date would be "SOL_Date". Now, I might guess wrongful act would be "WRONGFULACT_DATE" and I might guess that in word I would put >>. Is my logic ok? Are there rules that I can follow where I can creat my own questions?

If I have more then one question only, (say only 2 questions), I have to enter
>

Now the rest, I think to myself, is easy. Just enter as Mike showed to provide each question. If only two questions then
{FieldName = MyAnswer1
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer2
>}

Now get the right code words to put in word and there it should be. Hopefully my logic is ok here.

Mike anything you can do to help me fill in the blanks with regard to my logic and with regard to using the right words to prompt the right questions would be much appreciated.

Infamous quote/paraphrase of the day," I want da money ta go tooo da injud wukus, not da lawyas, anda judges and da doctos" Arnold Schwartzenneger

Thanks

Alexander Cozzaglio

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:04 pm

You said:

<<I never would have guessed that the SOL date would be "SOL_Date".

You can decide whatever you want it to be. That was just what I chose but it does not matter. You decide what the questions are and what the field name is. I could have just as easily chosen: DATE_SOL or Statute_Date or DateSOL. It's whatever you want it to be.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 pm

so,

>

{FieldName = MyAnswer1
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer2
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer3
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer4
>}

{FieldName = MyAnswer5
>}

Like so?

Thanks,

Alexander Cozzaglio

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Exactly. Then in Word you could have something like this:

We have scheduled for you to be examined by a doctor on >>. Please be sure to contaqct us if you are not available on >>.

However, just keep in mind that MyAnswer1 might not be as understandable when viewing your Word document as something like >>

You can also use the same fieldname several times in the document.

Mike