ScanFiles (company/paperless) Scanning/ A1 Integration

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Re: ScanFiles (company/paperless) Scanning/ A1 Integration

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:18 pm

Hello,

I am the Operations Manager of ScanFiles and I've been following your thread on the subject of scanning documents into A1 Law from within the office and also via an outsourced scanning company like ScanFiles. I am very pleased to have the opportunity to work with Mike and A1 Law again and to assist Michael Lerner's office in going paperless. I thought I would add a couple of comments to your discussion if you don't mind.

1. Closed File Prep - I agree that consideration should be given to how much staff time you want to expend to 'prepare' your files for ScanFiles to scan. When we prepare a file for scanning we go through each file pretty much pape by page anyway, so with instruction from you regarding what sections/documents in your files you wish to have scanned we can do the sectioning of the files here. This is something we are very accustomed to doing already as we provide this type of service to many of our current customers who have very specific requirements for how their files are to be prepared.

2. Importing Scanned Files - We can provide the scanned files in whatever file naming format that you would require and we could provide a text or xml file with the file name and path for import into A1 Law's Scan Tracker or 'Outsourced Scaning' Import feature. As long as we can determine the various pieces of necessary information from the files themselves like case number and category, etc then we would be able to take care of this quite easily. I would probably need a list of the case activity category descriptions and numbers. I would like to point out that keeping the file name as simple as possible, but something that would work for A1 import, would be best because the more complexity you require for how we name the files the more time it would take us at our data entry stage and therefore adding a bit more to pricing for this project. It sounds like something like CaseNo,Client Name,Case Activity or Category would work for you and it would be very straight forward for us to do.

3. Active Files - I think we can assist you in getting all of your acitve files into A1 Law in much the same way as we would process your closed files. If we assisted you in getting all of your current 'paper' scanned as well it would allow you to focus on scanning your day to day mail by your scan clerk on a 'day-forward' basis much sooner. At ScanFiles we scan in excess of 60,000 pages per day and one operator can scan 15,000 to 20,000 pages in 8 hours. Our process which utilizes high speed scanners as well as Kofax VRS scanning software and intense quality and verification proceedures allows us to provide not only quanitiy but the highest quality of scanned images.

Thank you and I look forward to your thoughts,

Diann

Diann Black
Operations Manager
ScanFiles
9108 Pittsburgh Ave., Ste 101
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
800-571-3099
www.ScanFiles.com

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:07 pm

Hello Diann and welcome to the thread. I'll comment on each of your comments. If possible, one thing the Lerner firm could consider is doing an initial trial with say 10-20 closed files just to see how that goes before dumping the entire basement of files on your company to scan. Then, the Lerner firm could examine the pdf files and possibly compare them with the physical file to see that everything is in its proper place.

The idea being that I think they want several pdfs from one closed file where the different pdfs might be settlement information, opening docs, medicals, rehab (or whatever categories they specify).

1. Closed File Prep - The instructions as to "what is what" in the closed file actually has to come from the Lerner firm and not me because they will know how to identify and categorize each document in the file.

2. Importing Scanned Files - Yes - what you said about keeping the filename as simple as possible I agree with. You can name the filename anything you want. For example, you might choose a coding system of the filenames case CaseNo-CategoryNo that you are assured that there will be no duplicate files.

A1-Law will want to see everything in one folder (or a few folders at the most). That's how I'm thinking about setting up this feature. Then, there will be one text file on the CD/DVD and it will contain all the information for all the files to be scanned on that CD/DVD. The text file contains the name of the file. So if you have scanned say 1000 pdf files on a CD then their should be 1000 lines in one text file that contains the information specified above. In theory, you could span the files over several folders and then the text file would have to contain both the path and filename of the pdfs but it's probably easier to just leave everything in one folder.

3. Yes - you could but I'm simply maintaining that if the Lerner firm goes through the trouble of entering information in Case Activity and printing a Scan Instruction form then that is already most of the work under the first "automatated scanning feature" in A1-Law which is why I've been pushing in this thread for kind of an "all or nothing" approach. Let me know if you agree with what I'm driving at here. They would give you the closed and/or open files and you would (1) sort and order all the documents by category (2) Create a "description line" in the main scan txt file containing the information we talked about including filename, category, case activity event etc.

When you get started on this project please contact me because I will need to provide you with the exact format for this txt file. It allows A1-Law to import all the pdf files and attach them to case activity with the correct descriptions and in the proper categories.

Thanks,
Mike

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi guys,

Mike, I really like the idea of the text file and associated PDF's for all importing into A1; retired files, active files, and possibly live mail processing by a scanning service like ScanFiles. However, the use of such an import text file would require ScanFiles to have a list of the case ID's for the law office, and matching case names. Also, we would need the document category ID for all the various activity/document categories the law office wanted to use. What's the easiest way to get that data from the law office and A1? We would want this electronically, either a Foxpro data file, comma delimited text file, XML file, or whatever. I'm not sure the law office would want to do this, but could we attach to the A1 Law data file directly? In other words, the law office could give us a copy of their A1 data file and we could write our own application to lookup case ID's and categories numbers? I asked you about security on the
A1 data file before but I don't remember what the answer was. The best route would be for A1 to output a text/xml/xls or whatever data file, but that would require more programming on your part and an update for all your users. Anyway, what would the best approach be here?

Thanks,

Stephen Schneider
ScanFiles
Med-Legal, Inc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:11 am

Stephen - per your comments:

1. However, the use of such an import text file would require ScanFiles to have a list of the case ID's for the law office

Most if not all law offices most likely write the case number directly on the physical file. Otherwise, it's relatively simple for A1-Law to print a list or export a list with the name and case number to an Excel or other file.

2. Also, we would need the document category ID for all the various activity/document categories the law office wanted to use

Right. You would only need a list of the ones they would use for attached activities to the scanned files. There would probably be no more than 5-10 at the most (possibly even fewer that would be necessary for scanned files).

3. What's the easiest way to get that data from the law office and A1?

To get the categories, it's probably easiest to just take a screen shot (or just write them down since there most likely won't be more than 5). It's very important to go into the proper place since the category numbers may not directly correspond with the order of how they are listed in the case activity dropdown.

4. We would want this electronically, either a Foxpro data file, comma delimited text file, XML file, or whatever.

The office could EASILY provide you with a list of the case numbers, names, etc. That could easily be done in the Search mode or there is a feature that allows for "custom AddOns" in the A1-Law Studio. Either way will work. But, it's not necessary to have the categories in electronic format - or if you needed them in this format then one could easily create it in under 1-2 minutes given that there wouldn't be more than 5 categories.

Keep in mind that it's best for the office to provide the client card number on the file since one could have two different clients with the same name.

5. I'm not sure the law office would want to do this, but could we attach to the A1 Law data file directly? In other words, the law office could give us a copy of their A1 data file and we could write our own application to lookup case ID's and categories numbers?

Actually - if you wanted to go that route then all you would really need would be the A1Law\Data folder and that would "zip" with great compression.

6. I asked you about security on the A1 data file before but I don't remember what the answer was.

I don't recall what you were referring to but if it had to do with remote access then I think #5 and zipping up the data folder might work better since you won't have to worry about remote access. But again, the best solution is if the law office already has the client card number written in the upper right corner or somewhere on the file.

7. The best route would be for A1 to output a text/xml/xls or whatever data file, but that would require more programming on your part and an update for all your users. Anyway, what would the best approach be here?

No - A1-Law already has the capability to write the name and client card number to an XML file - it's already built in A1-Law. Best solution is if the office already has the number written on the file and you can have A1-Law export data to XLS or another format and then just put the copy on a flash drive or simply copy the data folder (or zipped version of it) onto a flash drive and write your own routines - either way. But, A1-Law already has the ability to export almost anything to Excel format.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am

Hi Mike,

Yes, Michael Lerner and I did discuss starting with a few test files. I think this would be the best way to get us started. And we can provide seperate pdfs for each tab category in each file.

1. Closed File Prep - The instructions as to "what is what" in the closed file actually has to come from the Lerner firm and not me because they will know how to identify and categorize each document in the file.

Right I would need this information from the Lerner office.

2. Importing Scanned Files - ....

I agree that the files could be provided in groups or batches with the text file for that group with the folder.

3. ....if the Lerner firm goes through the trouble of entering information in Case Activity and printing a Scan Instruction form then that is already most of the work under the first "automatated scanning feature" in A1-Law which is why I've been pushing in this thread for kind of an "all or nothing" approach. Let me know if you agree with what I'm driving at here. They would give you the closed and/or open files and you would (1) sort and order all the documents by category (2) Create a "description line" in the main scan txt file containing the information we talked about including filename, category, case activity event etc.

Yes, Mike I completely agree with you on this regarding the 'all or nothing' approach. If Lerner's office is going to enter information and print a scan form and then perhaps go in and do some reorganization of the file then they might as well do the scanning. But for their office to process all of their closed and active files in this way will be quite time consuming for them. Once Scanfiles is familiar with Lerner's files we will be able to process their files very quickly and efficiently.

4. When you get started on this project please contact me because I will need to provide you with the exact format for this txt file. It allows A1-Law to import all the pdf files and attach them to case activity with the correct descriptions and in the proper categories.

Once we know the exact format you will need, our database and methodology for naming and indexing files we scan will allow us to create a text file for these files very easily. We already do this for serveral other customers.

Please email me at dblack@scanfiles.com with your phone number and I will give you a call as soon as Michael Lerner gives us the first test files to scan. I would also like to invite you to come and take a tour of ScanFiles so that you can see our process first hand. Let me know when you would like to visit.

I'm looking forward to working with you on this project.

Diann

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:22 pm

Dear Michael, Diann, and Stephen,

Thank you very much for your current thoughts and input. Having this discussion now and creating some standards will be beneficial to everyone involved including other firms in the future looking to take the next "paperless" step.

I've personally been working on digesting the entire conversation up to now. Please let me know if I understand this correctly in regards to moving forward with the entire process from 3 areas: Our office, Michael Appell's A1-Law, and ScanFiles.

This is important considering that in the future the idea is to use the scanning features for Open/Active cases as well as Closed. (No use expending extra energy later “reinventing the wheel” for use with open cases).

(I’ve tossed in an asterix “*” wherever I have a question with the process)

1. All of us (we may want to include fellow offices using A1-Law – especially those using A1-Law and Scanfiles – like Gordon, Edelstein, & Krepack, etc.) talk about in regards to the new functionality that Michael Appell will be adding to the Scan Tracker:

a. How the text file would look that interacts with the Scan Tracker
b. How the text file would look after being posted in A1-Law Case Activity

Michael Appell gave a good example of what the text file might look like earlier (from MA’s February 15, 2007 11:48PM post):

Filename,CaseNo,Name,Case Activity Entry,Case Activity Category Number

Examples:
med1.pdf,448,"Jon Doe","SCANNED: Medical Report of Dr. Smith",1
med2.pdf,632,"Jane Smith","SCANNED: Settlement docs as of 1/8/2003",3

*Would there be a set standard or would this be different for each law firm? (i.e. Would the Scan Tracker allow a bit of customization depending on what was important? (Work Comp vs. Personal Injury).

For example our office for Work Comp uses the Main Case Activity category for everything, but on the Personal Injury side, we have (and use somewhat) different case activity categories. This may be different for various offices using A1.

Maybe something in Scan Tracker that would allow you to type in the values setup for your text file… or select a setup of maybe a maximum of 6 from a row of dropdown menus? For example, the first three would be a static: “Filename” (like med1.pdf), “CaseNo” (the number that A1-Law assigns it in the system), and “Case Activity Entry” (What will show up/be posted in the A1 “Event” area for that particular Case Activity Event). From there you could have dropdowns that would include: Client Full name, Client Last Name, Client First Name, Case Activity Category Number, etc… this would include a *Blank* (meaning you choose not to use that particular dropdown). The whole list would be shown on a line below of your choices, So it would look like:

Filename,CaseNo,Case Activity Entry,(firm’s choice),(firm’s choice),(firm’s choice)

So if a firm decided to use for their 3 dropdowns (in order):
Client Last Name, Client First Name, Case Activity Category Number

The file setup would look like:
Filename,CaseNo,Case Activity Entry,Client Last Name,Client First Name,Case Activity Category Number

*I’m not exactly sure how the Client’s full name, last name, or first name would interact with A1… would it act as an additional error-checking step to make sure you are attaching into case activity the new scanned document to the correct case? Or would it just be sitting there in the text file in case there ever is a mixup with the case number? Or would it also end up in the Case Activity “Event” area before or after the description of what it is?

Or with the simpliest setup (that would dump each file into Case activity):
Filename,CaseNo,Case Activity Entry

Example: 1.pdf,5000,SCANNED: Last Med

*Since we are moving away from the “X-Y” format (CaseNo-CaseActivityNo), I’m guessing that when we use the Scan Tracker on that text file that the scanned items will be placed into the Next available case activity for that case. If so, what prevents accidental duplication with the new setup?

2. Michael Appell creates the addition to Case Activity Scanning/ScanTracker.

3. Our Law firm (Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel) figures out with our attorneys how to sort the documents within physical test closed files for each of our departments (WC, SS, PI) into the appropriate sections. We decide on the naming conventions for the pdf files. We provide ScanFiles these test physical files and naming conventions (from #1 above) and explain the document sorting distinctions so they will be able to train their staff about those distinctions.

4. ScanFiles scans the physical test files and names those files using the naming conventions. A group of pdfs are created for each physical test file. A text file is also created listing all of those pdfs with the naming conventions (from #1 above). ScanFiles provides the Law Firm (CD or download) those pdfs and text file.

5. Our Law Firm uses ScanTracker with the text file to import the pdfs into the appropriate cases in A1-Law. We check with our attorneys to see if everything they would need is readily available in the scanned files in the A1 case activity.

6. All of us tweak and polish the entire process as needed.

Do I understand this correctly? Please let me know.

THANKS!
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Michael - I think you have everything correct. We'll be able to test this more once I have completed the "Scan Tracker Copy Service Import" feature. The only other thing I should mention to those "lurking" is that the "Scan Tracker Copy Service Import" feature is a "restricted feature." In other words, not every copy service will have access to this feature. In fact, it's possible that it may be restricted or limited to very few services. At present, you need not worry as there will be no problem with your firm and ScanFiles. There is also no extra cost for this feature; rather it is just restricted to certain copy services.

Thanks,
Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm

It sounds right to me Michael.

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Dear Michael, Diann, and Stephen,

Thanks! I'm glad to see this project pulling together so smoothly.

I spoke with our office manager Cynthia. We'll pull together and sort our test versions of Workers' Compensation, Social Security, and Personal Injury closed files for ScanFiles.

In the meantime, Cynthia was curious about what might be a possible ETA for the first text-file upgrade to the A1 Scan Tracker system.

Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:19 pm

I'm going to try and have an update this weekend which will have 4 main features:

1. (restricted) Copy Service Scan Tracker Import Feature (in Progress).

2. Client Card Party Notes (in progress).

3. Templates - automatic copying, attaching and editing for forms (ie: Excel or other templates).

4. Forms window may now be resized.

5. Window Remember Window Settings (in the previous version along with a few other features).

Mike