Re: Merge Codes

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:46 pm

The top of your A1-Law letter might look something like this (as in the sample Word letter in A1-Law)

FileName = F10628.doc
>

Then you would need a Word document called F10628.doc in the A1Law\Word folder. Make sure you have an F25.doc letter in the A1Law\word folder and also make sure you have the .doc extension in the A1Law letter.

Mike

Law Offices of George Henderson

Post by Law Offices of George Henderson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:09 pm

This is how my letter looks in A1. I have the word doc to go with it.

FileName = 52 Sending Proposed AMEs.doc

{fieldname = AMElist
>

This is how all our letters are labelled:
52 Sending Proposed AMEs.doc, 2 Letter to doctor.doc...

None our letters have:
>

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:18 pm

I don't understand your post. At the top you said:

Then at the bottom of your post you said:

None our letters have:
>

You don't need the command = merge but you do need the FileName command at the top. Also, make sure you have these commands that follow:

WordStyle = 2
Path = Word

Make sure the dropdown (where you title the letter) for the TYPE is Microsoft Word.

Mike

Post by Law Offices of George Henderson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:31 pm

Ok. I got it working. I forgot to ad >>} at the end. I have a new question. So I'm using the code below:

FileName = 52 Sending proposed AMEs.doc

{fieldname = AMElist
<<Command = GetList
caption Select Type of AMEs to send
Linefeeds 2
paragraphs

{Ortho}
{Orthopedic
doctor 1
doctor 2
doctor 3}

{psyche}
{Psychology
doctor 1
doctor 2
doctor 3}

{internal}
{Internal medicine
doctor 1
doctor 2
doctor 3}

When a person selects 2 lists, it merges one below the other like this:

Orthopedic
doctor 1
doctor 2
doctor 3

Psychology
doctor 1
doctor 2
doctor 3

Is there a way to make them merge next to each other in columns? Would tables work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 pm

To start - I'm VERY confused. Why use a GetList to select doctors when you can much easier just use a GetParty?

Then it's not only easier but you can organize it in tables or anyway you like with just the name or the name and address. For this situation it's just so much more powerful than getlist. Getlist was mainly designed to include various paragraphs in letters when you start a letter with something like: Enclosed For Filing Please Find...etc.

But your letter design shows really good effort and your skills are really coming along. I hope you like the flexibility A1-Law offers in form letter customization.

Mike

Post by Law Offices of George Henderson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:02 am

I'm using GetList because we need it to merge proposed lists of AME doctors. The doctors are not attached to the case. Once in a while, the lists of AME doctors change.

Ever since I was able to figure out how to do a letter, I began to like A1 even more. As I learn the codes, I try to see how we can use them in all our letters. I'm sorry for bothering you so much with the codes. I try to use the A1 help, but sometimes that help is not enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 am

The doctors do not need to be attached to the case. As long as they are in the rolodex, you can use the INCLUDE parameters to have them displayed in the GetParty command.

It's good that you use the Support Forum as we wish more would so that everyone can contribute and learn from everyone else.

Mike

Post by Law Offices of George Henderson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Ok, I'm trying it out. I don't think I'm doing it right but it's a start. This is what I did:

{FieldName = OrthoAMEs
>>}

It will only merge one doctor. How would I merge all doctors? Is it possible for the GetParty list to only show the list of doctors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Don't use AskAndSupress. Just use the Ask like this:

>

or use the ASK2 or ASK3 etc. The style dropdown setting is the same as the ASK2 or ASK3 etc to use as a default setting.

Mike

Post by Law Offices of George Henderson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:22 pm

I change the code to:

{FieldName = OrthoAMEs
>}

It does what I want but, there are different type of AMEs we may propose like psyche, internal, and neuro. Not always ortho. I want the lists to be next to each other, instead of one below the other. So If I put >>, >>,...and all the others into a table, I will have blank tables for the AMEs we don't choose. What can I do?