Re: Merge Codes

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:26 am

That is unusual since it makes for a longer letter and the names are already listed with the addresses. :S

But, you can do it by using the GetParty,AskAndSave so long as you plan for a limited number of cc's (for example, at most 5 or 10, etc). The code below allows for up to three and you can easily cut and paste for more. You can quickly and easily print the letter directly in A1-Law if you want before merging to Word or Corel to see how it merges the codes. Here's the example:

>

{FieldName = CCAllNamesAddress
>
>
>
>
>
>
}

{FieldName = CCAllNamesOnly
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
}

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Ok I'm still working on this particular code. We found a problem. I guess there are circumstances where there will be no CCs at all so they want the option to have nothing show up. When no party is selected though, we end up seeing 3 commas on the "CCAllNamesAddress" part. The "CCAllNamesOnly" part shows nothing though - like we want it to. How do I fix this? BTW, if I select 1 party, I get 2 commas below the party's info. Basically there is a blank line, then a line with only a comma, then another blank line, and then a line with only a comma.

Another part of this particular issue is the text I have in the letter itself. I guess if there are no parties selected to CC, then we don't even want to see the "CC" on the letter either. How do I make that conditional?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 pm

It will require a little more form coding. I will have that posted here by the weekend.

Thanks,
Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Did you find anything that would work? Or maybe an example of something similar?
Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 am

Yes - I'll have that posted later today. Sorry for the delay.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 pm

For the cc's you can do it this way so that it shows if you select a party:

>
>

Then what you do is use the Recall parameter to recall various parties so that you can decide what you want printed and how like this:

>
This is the first party:
>

>
This is the second party:
>

etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:02 pm

That didn't seem to change anything at all in the letter.

This is what I have right now:

>
>

>
>
>
>
>
>
}

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
}

I still get 3 commas when no parties are selected. I'm not sure why there are commas at all since when parties are selected, there aren't any commas (except between the city & state).

And as a whole other issue, I need some way to make the phrase "CARBON COPIES:" and "CC:" appear in two different spots when CCs are selected. If they are not, then they don't need to appear in the letter. Right now I have them as text in the letter, but we don't want it to be there like that - we want it conditional on the fact that if there are parties selected to cc then the phrases will appear. So far the code that you gave me hasn't fixed either problem. What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 pm

While I'm waiting for clarification on my above issue . . . I'm moving onto some letters done in Word . . . . which I'm still getting the hang of.

I know letterhead is covered extensively in the help files but I'm still having a problem. I have gotten letterhead files to merge in WP with no problem but so far I can't make it merge in Word letters. What code should I have at the top of the form letter to merge my letterhead file designed in Word? My master letterhead file is AAlttrhd.doc and is saved in the WORD folder. I have tried putting this code in my letter but it doesn't seem to merge anything together : >>. Is there a different code I should be using instead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello - you will want a FieldName command for CC like this:

{FieldName = CCcaption
>}

Then in Word you would do a >> instead of typing cc

Please provide me a sample of how you would like it to look in the letter and I'll tell you how to code it. For example:

Jon Doe, 121 Second Ave, LA CA
Jane Smith, 125 Eighth Ave, LA CA

etc. I need to know what you want listed such as name only, firm only, name and address maybe the phone, etc.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:04 am

I'm using word perfect for the letter with the CC issue. . . .

I got the letter to look like this:

cc:
LaLaLa Insurance Co.
Jane Lane

Law Office of John Smith
John Smith

Then further in the letter it says this:

CARBON COPIES:

Jane Lane
LaLaLa Insurance Co
1234 The Street
Los Angeles, CA

John Smith
Law Office of John Smith
5432 The Road
Los Angeles CA

With these codes:

>

>
>
>
>
>
>
}

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
}
{FieldName = CCcaption
>}

{FieldName = CarbonCopies
>}

All of that works perfectly now. If I have no CCs selected, the text (CC & CARBON COPIES) is gone, which is what we wanted. BUT there are still commas in the address section. I'm not sure why - or how . . .

And I'm still having problems merging letterhead in Word . . .