Re: Merge Codes

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:36 pm

1. Any idea why I'm getting commas for the address section, when there is no party selected?

2. And when using Word, what could I be doing wrong to merge letterhead?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Hello - a few things - first if you see the "smileys" in your code in a post then you can edit your post and check the Disable Smileys for this message.

You can try this code to eliminate commas for the current party selected:

Address: >

City State Zip: >

For the letterhead in Word the ideal solution would be to create codes to merge their letterhead information so that when letterhead changes it is reflected in all letters. I know it's really easy to set up a template in Word Perfect and just merge the template. In fact A1-Law has an example of this for Corel WP. For Word, you will either have to google about letterhead and templates (I think it has to do with changing the normal.dot template but I'm not positive). Otherwise, you can just create codes for A1-Law to merge the letterhead.

For example:

In the master A1-Law letter you might have:

{FieldName = OurFirmName
ABC Law Offices
111 Abc Road
LA, CA}

{FieldName = OurAttorneys
jon doe
jane doe}

Then in the Word Letter you just use the codes >> at the top and on the right and left (such as phone number codes) in a table. Then if anything ever changes you just change the information in A1-Law in the master merge letter and it is reflected for all your Word letters.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:03 pm

They have a Word document that has their letterhead made already - with graphics. They want a master letterhead file that they can just go in and make changes on - whether it is firm info or formatting or whatever. The thought was to be able to merge that document into all the form letters. In WP I used the NESTFORM(FIELD(CorelDir)ltrhd1.wpd) code at the top of all the letters to do this. So are you saying that there isn't a simple option like that for Word?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm

No - I'm saying I believe it is just as simple for Word it's just that it is a Word feature not an A1-Law feature and I'm not as familiar with Word. But, I'm sure on the google groups there should be several solutions if you google something like:

"Creating Letterhead in Microsoft Word" AND Templates

Another thing you can do is just put the image on each Word letter and then use the A1 Codes to merge the data into the letterhead since the data is more likely to change as attorney staff changes but the logo is far less likely to change. In this way, when staff changes it still only needs to be changed in one place. Otherwise, you'll have to research further on how to merge letterhead. I'm not sure if Stephen is familiar with this as I know he has worked a lot with Word in the past but those are some solutions. I'm curious as to what you find.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Ok I'll let you know what I find out . . . .

When it comes to those commas, there is not a party selected when this happens. The problem is that when no parties are selected to CC, we see 3 commas on 3 seperate lines. Sort of as place holder for the 3 parties we could have selected. Or if 1 party is selected, then we see 2 commas. The code I used for this section allowed for 3 possible parties to be selected - hence the 3 commas. Will adding this code make commas disappear even though they are not linked with an actual party? As it is right now, I'm getting an error when I add this code (I have it after the getparty, askandsave code).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm

This is because when the pointer for the parties is positioned to no one (ie: if they cancelled) then A1-Law is putting blank lines and a comma between city, state and zip. One solution is to use memory variables to test for all this. But, I'm creating a new version which should be released within 1-2 hours which will allow you to continue to use the command = card and it will eliminate the line feeds and commas. So, I would advise that you just continue to use the command = card coding.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Perfect, thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Please test with the latest update now ready.

Thanks,
Mike