Question re: Outlook emails, tab function

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Question re: Outlook emails, tab function

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Mike,

In addition to a send button, my normal Outlook emails only have a few box spaces above the body of the email, for information:

To: ___________________
cc: ___________________
Subject: ______________

However, my outlook emails when done through A1, have a completely different look. It has no send button, and a it has 8 box spaces, as follows:

From:___________________________________________________________________________________________________
To: _____________________________________________________________________________________________________
CC:__________________________________________________________ Case No: ______ Pull Case button From: _____
Subject: ______________________________________________________ Category: ______________________ Color: _______

The problem I am having is with the tab key, when in the body of the email. I often hit the tab key for the beginning of a paragraph, and instead of indenting the paragraph, the cursor will move from the body of the email to the box next to "Case No:______."
Hence, I will begin typing, only to find the case number has been replaced with text. I then have to re-input the case number, go back to the body of the email. But if I hit the tab key again, to indent the paragraph, the cursor will again move to the "Case No:_____" box.
In order to enable the tab key function to work to "indent the paragraph", I have to hit the space bar for a few spaces, then hit the tab key, which will then move the cursor to the proper indentation place. Or a proper spacing for a normal tab key function.

Why is this happening, and how do I stop it? It's really pissing me off. When I'm in the body of the email, I only want the tab key to function as it would in a normal word processing program, or a normal Outlook email. I don't want to hit the tab key to cause the cursor to move out of the body of the email.

Any suggestion?

Thanks, Frank

Anonymous User

Re: Question re: Outlook emails, tab function

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Well - first let me say that is not happening here when I test it. I do have a send button. Now, I will say there are applications that I have used where the tab key does do that (ie: it even happens in Microsoft Word when I'm in a Table and I want to put a tab and it jumps out of the table). When that happens I have to use cut and paste to paste the tab. Certainly not an ideal solution but it's a solution.

After scouring the internet I came across two solutions for you. First, try resetting the computer and see if it does this right when going into A1-Law. One post indicated that it sometimes happens after going into Quicken or other software that could cause problems with Outlook. Second and most important of all, try using a different keyboard or installing any possible keyboard drivers. Start, by testing this on another compute or by using a completely different keyboard and see what happens.

Let us know.

Thanks,
Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:09 am

Turning off the system doesn't do anything. I'll check with my assistants to see if they are having a similar problem. If not, I'll try a new keyboard.

Thanks, FER

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am

Changing keyboards did not help. I'm using Windows 7 pro. Does that give you any additional info? FER

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 am

Let me know but if your assistants are having the same problem but also have the exact same keyboards as you then it won't be a fair test. You can purchase a cheap keyboard for around ten dollars so it might be another option.

Let me know.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:03 pm

My assistant is not have the same problem. I did change keyboard, but it did not cure the problem. I'm searching outlook help to see if I can find a solution.

The bottom line, I do not want the "tab key" to operate in the body of the email, except as to move the cursor over a specified number of spaces, such as indenting for a new paragraph.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Does your assistant have the same version of Microsoft Outlook as you? Does your assistant have Win 7. One more thing....What happens when you go into Outlook and just try and write an Email directly from Outlook (not from A1-Law to Outlook) then do you still have the same problem with the tab key?

Mike